Avatar von rkrawczyk60 Neuzugang
    Empyrion - Thanks for the ntdll tip. I looked into it and had done all the suggested fixes except a windows repair install or clean install. Before I did that, I figured I would give the Steam video driver updater a shot (normally I use stuff straight from AMD, but I had nothing to lose). It actually worked. I've played twice for 2 hours each with no crash. It could be a fluke, and I'll post here if it crashes in the same way again and also talk to Ubi tech support. It looks like it was a ntdll.dll issue with the graphics driver. Let's hope it's actually fixed. Thanks again.

Dmdilks - Thanks for the info on power supply. I didn't know it was more complicated than total wattage (ie. 550W > 500W = good). I made sure my video card is by itself on a power cord out of the PSU (I hope that means it is at least on its own rail), and I'll look into a PSU upgrade after hearing about your GPU temp experience with a better PSU. Cheers!

Quick update - clean windows install didn't fix the problem. It still crashes and now I'm sure the window that pops up says runtime error. This time, nothing in the windows error reporting log. Next, I guess I'll try removing my sound card and running off mobo sound. I'll also contact Ubi.

Hey rkrawczyk60
    I had ALMOST the same problem here. My game was crashing when trying to start a precise mission. Anyway i had a runtime error too:

Microsoft visual C++ Runtime Library:
    Runtime Error!
    Program:c:\pro...
    R6025
    -pure virtual function call

Like you, the message was appearing for half a second so i couldn't read it. what you can do is fraps that thing (EDIT:not fraps actually, you'll need something to record what appears on your whole screen and not only the gaming window, i used camstudio for this) and then watch the video in slow motion (i did this with media player classic, which allow you to watch movies frames per frames) to check the message.

Anyway, my problem was apparently a savegame thingy, i'll link my thread so you can check it i've explained pretty much all i've done to resolve the problem. It's not the exact same thing as you but i hope it can help.

My thread link: http://forums-de.ubi.com/showthread....o-desktop!-%28

EDIT: I'm on the steam version too btw.
    EDIT 2: From what i've seen here and there, the E8400 can consume upto 150W. I've searched the info after reading what had been said in this thread, when i saw you saying that you had a 550W PSU for a 500W GPU. That's a very low margin you got there.

Scootasty (and others) - Thanks for the advice. I had no idea power could be the issue until posting here (and on another forum where the same suggestion came up). So, I have 2 questions.

The game crashes more frequently in a more complex game, meaning that later in the game when you have more buildings, units, quests, etc., it crashes all the time. early on, it rarely does. Does that sound like a power issue or would they be unrelated?

Is there any utility I can use to monitor power or diagnose this issue? I have PC probe which shows voltage per rail, but I don't really know what I'm seeing.

I'd be happy to replace an aging power supply if it would solve this and future problems, but I want to be sure before spending the $$$. If a replacement is necessary, any PS suggestions?

Avatar von Moryarity Meister der Buchstaben
    mmhhh...in later game stages the load of the computer rises. But it could also be an issue of temperature of the GPU or problems with the RAM. Did you check your RAM for any problems with Memtest or another programm?

I tested RAM and tracked temps early on when trying to diagnose the crashing. Temps were all good (GPU max just over 60, CPU 40-50 max, mobo low 40s). RAM had no errors. I also can't reproduce the crash in any other game even though I can produce similar temps.

I'm reading about power supplies now, think it's feasibly the cause of the crashing?

Avatar von henk1001 Kam, sah und tippte
    As this game is quite heavy in graphics, you can try to increase the memory on disc.
    Often PC's with a SSD harddisc have a problem.
    Not enough mem can freeze the game or the game just stops, going back to desktop.

If there is a power supply problem, then, what I have seen, the PC is switched off or is restarting windows or an BSOD.
    I think it looks that there is a mem problem as the game is progressing.
    It also can be the mem on yr graphic card. Prefered is >1GB.

Henk - I have a regular HD, no SSD. I wish that were the issue. I have a AMD Sapphire HD 6870 which has 1 GB of mem. The crash doesn't involve PC crashing or restarting etc., it simply crashes to desktop and the UPlay exit screen shows. Other ideas? Thanks!

Avatar von henk1001 Kam, sah und tippte
    What is the setting for mem on disc?

Edit: W7, you can find it here:
    Conf / System / Advanced system/ --> System properties/Advanced ->first one - Adjustments/Advanced ->virtual mem / change.
    (My W7 is not in English - I hope the wording is correct)

Henk1001 - I found what you're talking about. It's 4095 MB. I'm running Win7 Ultime 64-bit if that matters. Can I increase the 4095MB without causing problems?