PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Splinter Cell Conviction Interview

Rea1SamF1sher
15-07-09, 14:47
Originally posted by connexiondva:
Interview wit Ubisoft about Splinter Cell: Conviction
Keep in mind that this Interview has been edited and approved by the interviewed person him- or herself.

ConnexionDVA:
First of all, I’d like to thank you for your time in this Interview. I hope this will help the hardcore Splinter Cell to find an answer to their questions about Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Ubisoft:
No problem. On behalf of the team, I would like to thank you for your effort to help us maintain our fans and to help us with the Splinter Cell community.

ConnexionDVA:
I have to say, it’s my pleasure… I expect great things about the game. And I would like to have the fans to think the same thing. But as it stands, I think there is a lot of misunderstanding towards the game. Especially because of the lack of footage we’ve seen so far.

Ubisoft:
We are actually working on a new teaser trailer for Conviction. We certainly hope the video along with this Interview you are taking, will be most helpful towards the fans.

ConnexionDVA:
Ok so most of the questions do come from many of the fans active on the Splinter Cell forums. How do you expect this Interview to be? Do you think it’s going to be relatively easy?

Ubisoft:
Haha, no, actually not. Almost all of us on the team have seen the fans doing a lot of criticizing towards Conviction. And in no way do we disapprove of this. It is very helpful and very educational. Some of the fans will notice that the game has gone through some changes thanks to their posts.

ConnexionDVA:
Ok well, let’s not delay it further. Here comes the first question.
This question comes from “Mangajedi”:
Will we see any more complicated yet amazing effects along with the objectives projected on the walls?

Ubisoft:
Definitely, we’ve done a lot of innovative things to keep the player as immersed into the game as possible. This includes the hidden loading screens. We believe that there is nothing more boring than to stare at a loading screen. We’ve tried to do this by playing high resolution and high quality videos that tell you more about the story or the situation. By the end of the movie the game should be loaded and you are ready to go. This way the players keep getting information instead of having a forced break due to loading screens.
?
ConnexionDVA:
We all know the game took a big change, twice! Now some of the fans seem to have problems recognizing anything that came along from the previous games. Does Conviction have aspects or features that were also there in the previous games?

Ubisoft:
Of course, although we changed the game drastically, it wouldn’t be Splinter Cell if we didn’t keep some of the core elements from the other games. To start with the obvious… The story line will have flashbacks to what has been revealed in the previous games. Also will Conviction be as depending on stealth as like any other Splinter Cell game. There’s no question about how you are able to take on more enemies head-on, but Conviction still stimulates the player to use stealth as much as possible. In some way, although player may think otherwise, the game has come a little more realistic. An elite agent like Sam Fisher shouldn’t have trouble dealing with multiple threats at the same time. We noticed that this was one of the most frustrating things about the previous games. Pimping this a little so you are able to deal with threats more easily has made it more realistic in some way. Although we do admit that we gave it some kind of Hollywood feel to the whole thing. The Mark & Execute is a great example of this.

ConnexionDVA:
This question comes from “oO_ShadowFox_Oo”: Well we've seen a lot of the great work you guys have done to make this game more interesting for those players who are more interested in the action part of the genre with features like CQB and M&E, but what sort of developments have been done to please fans of the stealth side of genre?

Ubisoft:
Like I said before, the game still heavily relies on stealth. Running around shooting every target near you won’t get you far. The Mark & Execute for example is something you need to unlock in order to use it. How do you unlock this? You have to take out several enemies using hand-to-hand combat. This, in some way, forces you to get up close and personal… And the only way to get there is by using stealth. Stay with the shadows, make no sounds and stay focused… planning ahead is greatly advised since the game isn’t that easy as it looks. And I’m pretty sure there will be a question about that coming later on. Haha.
Also, some plot in the storyline will also bring you back to an even more stealthier approach.
But unfortunately I can’t reveal that plot. However… if you watch the E3 demo, I’m pretty sure some people have figured it out already.
A tip for those who have no idea: “If you want to know about your daughter, go with them…” and obviously those soldiers are working for Third Echelon.
?
ConnexionDVA:
I think you said more than enough already… I think I’m getting it.
So could you explain how you decided to change the whole game to a more action oriented game?

Ubisoft:
Mainly frustration. The previous games had points where there was no escaping the frustration you would go through doing a certain objective. We wanted the player, because of the storyline as well, to feel more like a predator. Sam is angry, he’s filled with anger and he wants revenge for what happened to his daughter. In some way, this setting wouldn’t really fit another slow paced game. This basically means the story has had a lot of influence on how the game would be. There is one thing I can tell with almost 100% certainty: The game will still satisfy the hardcore fans. But it’s a bit of getting used to…

ConnexionDVA:
McFisher9257, another player on the forums, wonders if Sam still has the opportunity to knock out a guard or to kill one. This seems to be a big issue on the forums… what could you say about that?

Ubisoft:
Well, yes… Sam doesn’t always kill his target. He’s not a murderer. He’s been a government spy all his life. The hand-to-hand fighting style Sam uses in Conviction is called Krav Maga. It’s a Israeli defense sport designed to render any threat harmless. This does not mean killing the person. It means basically to break limbs, to knock him out or to put him in a position where he’s not, in any way, a threat anymore.
So yes, you have the choice to knock them out instead of killing them.

ConnexionDVA:
How about dragging bodies out of sight? We’ve noticed that that option has been removed from the game and it has also been confirmed by IGN. Why has this happened? A lot of players take this as one of the classic features of Splinter Cell. Some players also defend their statement with adding: “Why would you remove it if it was optional anyway?”

Ubisoft:
There’s not a real good explanation for it. A lot of us on the team figured it was too much time consuming. Since the game has been taken to a more fast-paced game, it is obvious that we want to prevent from having anything take that fast pace into something a lot slower. We have read a few good ideas and the team is actually discussing one of them quite a lot. The first and simple way to solve this is to drag them into the shadows before knocking them out or killing them. The second solution is something we could actually put in the game. But it depends on the whole team and not just one man. The idea was to basically have Sam drag the bodies using one of the limbs or his shirt, while having a free hand he could use to shoot any threat coming at him during the process.

ConnexionDVA:
That does look like a very good idea. It still keeps the whole dragging thing in the game. But it’s also faster and you still have the opportunity to defend yourself, where in other games, you weren’t able to do that. I’d go for it.
?
ConnexionDVA:
Now I think this following question is one that has been on the minds of a lot of fans out there. We’ve noticed that in Splinter Cell: Conviction we are finally able to pick up weapons used by the opponents in the game. The E3 demo shows us that Sam suddenly gets the “Ingram” that was used by one of the guards. Now the question would be: How come doesn’t actually pick it up? Instead he walks over it and it magically appears on his backpack.

Ubisoft:
What a lot of players don’t really understand is that an E3 demo is something we show the people to let them know what we’ve got so far, how it looks, how it feels, how it plays, etc…
The game is still going through some heavy polishing. That means any problems, any bugs or any errors that might come up, we are fixing them. And this takes some time. Now I’m not really one of the animators but I do believe that Sam will be able to take the weapons up with an animation, although I can’t promise anything…
But keep in mind that there has been numerous changes to the game since the E3 demo that has been shown.

ConnexionDVA:
The next question has been posted by Rignell78:
During the presentation you’ve mentioned “sandbox”, Now I’ve noticed that a lot of the levels from the previous Splinter Cell games were pretty linear. Is this going to be the same in Conviction.

Ubisoft:
Not at all! The game has been designed to give the player full control over the situation. That means he is not bound to go through any front doors or “hidden” side entrances. He can basically do whatever he wants to get inside. Like you’ve seen he can take a window, he could go through the front door. Now it isn’t only one window that enables you to get in the building. There are a lot of other entrances for you to find and to use.
So yes, the storyline will stay the same. But everything you control is not in any way linear.

ConnexionDVA:
Here’s a question from myself: Since the 2007 version of Conviction, Sam has changed a lot. He had longer hair, he had a beard. Now he really looks like he’s Sam Fisher again. Why or what made you decide to do this?

Ubisoft:
Well first of all, Conviction occurs not much later than Double Agent. You could say a couple of years later. But to us, Sam Fisher always had this distinctive look… changing it really gave us the feeling that it wasn’t Sam Fisher anymore (while it actually was). So changed him back to how we are used to… I have to say, I like this Sam Fisher more than the previous model.

ConnexionDVA:
Is there going to be a Demo released to the public? If yes… Do you have any idea when?

Ubisoft:
There is definitely going to be a demo but due to the busy schedule and a lot of work. We can’t confirm any dates yet. I’d say it will be very close to the actual game’s release.
?
ConnexionDVA:
Well, I think this is about end of my time. I really want to thank you for answering these questions. And I really hope that this will help some of the fans to appreciate the game more. I have to say that I’m really looking forward to playing the game!

Ubisoft:
It was my pleasure! And again, on behalf of the entire team, I want to thank you for your efforts in helping us maintain our fans and help us.

--END OF INTERVIEW—

Keep in mind that this Interview has been edited and approved by the interviewed person him- or herself.

- Es wird ne Demo kommen.
- Man hat immer noch die Auswahl die Personen zu töten oder nicht. Entweder man erschisst sie oder man schaltet sie mit der Kampftechnik "Krav Maga" aus
- Es wird nachgedacht, wie man Sam dazu bringt Körper schneller und (realistischer) zu "tragen". Von der Idee her packt man den Gegner an seiner Kleidung und schleift ihn in eine Ecke.
- Es wird wahrscheinlich ne Animation geben in dem die Waffe aufgehoben wird und nicht automatisch an seinem Gürtel/Hüfte angeheftet wird.

Dieses Interview hat mich positiv überrascht und außer LKP habe ich nichts mehr zu meckern. http://forums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Rea1SamF1sher
15-07-09, 14:47
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by connexiondva:
Interview wit Ubisoft about Splinter Cell: Conviction

ConnexionDVA:
First of all, I’d like to thank you for your time in this Interview. I hope this will help the hardcore Splinter Cell to find an answer to their questions about Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Ubisoft:
No problem. On behalf of the team, I would like to thank you for your effort to help us maintain our fans and to help us with the Splinter Cell community.

ConnexionDVA:
I have to say, it’s my pleasure… I expect great things about the game. And I would like to have the fans to think the same thing. But as it stands, I think there is a lot of misunderstanding towards the game. Especially because of the lack of footage we’ve seen so far.

Ubisoft:
We are actually working on a new teaser trailer for Conviction. We certainly hope the video along with this Interview you are taking, will be most helpful towards the fans.

ConnexionDVA:
Ok so most of the questions do come from many of the fans active on the Splinter Cell forums. How do you expect this Interview to be? Do you think it’s going to be relatively easy?

Ubisoft:
Haha, no, actually not. Almost all of us on the team have seen the fans doing a lot of criticizing towards Conviction. And in no way do we disapprove of this. It is very helpful and very educational. Some of the fans will notice that the game has gone through some changes thanks to their posts.

ConnexionDVA:
Ok well, let’s not delay it further. Here comes the first question.
This question comes from “Mangajedi”:
Will we see any more complicated yet amazing effects along with the objectives projected on the walls?

Ubisoft:
Definitely, we’ve done a lot of innovative things to keep the player as immersed into the game as possible. This includes the hidden loading screens. We believe that there is nothing more boring than to stare at a loading screen. We’ve tried to do this by playing high resolution and high quality videos that tell you more about the story or the situation. By the end of the movie the game should be loaded and you are ready to go. This way the players keep getting information instead of having a forced break due to loading screens.
?
ConnexionDVA:
We all know the game took a big change, twice! Now some of the fans seem to have problems recognizing anything that came along from the previous games. Does Conviction have aspects or features that were also there in the previous games?

Ubisoft:
Of course, although we changed the game drastically, it wouldn’t be Splinter Cell if we didn’t keep some of the core elements from the other games. To start with the obvious… The story line will have flashbacks to what has been revealed in the previous games. Also will Conviction be as depending on stealth as like any other Splinter Cell game. There’s no question about how you are able to take on more enemies head-on, but Conviction still stimulates the player to use stealth as much as possible. In some way, although player may think otherwise, the game has come a little more realistic. An elite agent like Sam Fisher shouldn’t have trouble dealing with multiple threats at the same time. We noticed that this was one of the most frustrating things about the previous games. Pimping this a little so you are able to deal with threats more easily has made it more realistic in some way. Although we do admit that we gave it some kind of Hollywood feel to the whole thing. The Mark & Execute is a great example of this.

ConnexionDVA:
This question comes from “oO_ShadowFox_Oo”: Well we've seen a lot of the great work you guys have done to make this game more interesting for those players who are more interested in the action part of the genre with features like CQB and M&E, but what sort of developments have been done to please fans of the stealth side of genre?

Ubisoft:
Like I said before, the game still heavily relies on stealth. Running around shooting every target near you won’t get you far. The Mark & Execute for example is something you need to unlock in order to use it. How do you unlock this? You have to take out several enemies using hand-to-hand combat. This, in some way, forces you to get up close and personal… And the only way to get there is by using stealth. Stay with the shadows, make no sounds and stay focused… planning ahead is greatly advised since the game isn’t that easy as it looks. And I’m pretty sure there will be a question about that coming later on. Haha.
Also, some plot in the storyline will also bring you back to an even more stealthier approach.
But unfortunately I can’t reveal that plot. However… if you watch the E3 demo, I’m pretty sure some people have figured it out already.
A tip for those who have no idea: “If you want to know about your daughter, go with them…” and obviously those soldiers are working for Third Echelon.
?
ConnexionDVA:
I think you said more than enough already… I think I’m getting it.
So could you explain how you decided to change the whole game to a more action oriented game?

Ubisoft:
Mainly frustration. The previous games had points where there was no escaping the frustration you would go through doing a certain objective. We wanted the player, because of the storyline as well, to feel more like a predator. Sam is angry, he’s filled with anger and he wants revenge for what happened to his daughter. In some way, this setting wouldn’t really fit another slow paced game. This basically means the story has had a lot of influence on how the game would be. There is one thing I can tell with almost 100% certainty: The game will still satisfy the hardcore fans. But it’s a bit of getting used to…

ConnexionDVA:
McFisher9257, another player on the forums, wonders if Sam still has the opportunity to knock out a guard or to kill one. This seems to be a big issue on the forums… what could you say about that?

Ubisoft:
Well, yes… Sam doesn’t always kill his target. He’s not a murderer. He’s been a government spy all his life. The hand-to-hand fighting style Sam uses in Conviction is called Krav Maga. It’s a Israeli defense sport designed to render any threat harmless. This does not mean killing the person. It means basically to break limbs, to knock him out or to put him in a position where he’s not, in any way, a threat anymore.
So yes, you have the choice to knock them out instead of killing them.

ConnexionDVA:
How about dragging bodies out of sight? We’ve noticed that that option has been removed from the game and it has also been confirmed by IGN. Why has this happened? A lot of players take this as one of the classic features of Splinter Cell. Some players also defend their statement with adding: “Why would you remove it if it was optional anyway?”

Ubisoft:
There’s not a real good explanation for it. A lot of us on the team figured it was too much time consuming. Since the game has been taken to a more fast-paced game, it is obvious that we want to prevent from having anything take that fast pace into something a lot slower. We have read a few good ideas and the team is actually discussing one of them quite a lot. The first and simple way to solve this is to drag them into the shadows before knocking them out or killing them. The second solution is something we could actually put in the game. But it depends on the whole team and not just one man. The idea was to basically have Sam drag the bodies using one of the limbs or his shirt, while having a free hand he could use to shoot any threat coming at him during the process.

ConnexionDVA:
That does look like a very good idea. It still keeps the whole dragging thing in the game. But it’s also faster and you still have the opportunity to defend yourself, where in other games, you weren’t able to do that. I’d go for it.
?
ConnexionDVA:
Now I think this following question is one that has been on the minds of a lot of fans out there. We’ve noticed that in Splinter Cell: Conviction we are finally able to pick up weapons used by the opponents in the game. The E3 demo shows us that Sam suddenly gets the “Ingram” that was used by one of the guards. Now the question would be: How come doesn’t actually pick it up? Instead he walks over it and it magically appears on his backpack.

Ubisoft:
What a lot of players don’t really understand is that an E3 demo is something we show the people to let them know what we’ve got so far, how it looks, how it feels, how it plays, etc…
The game is still going through some heavy polishing. That means any problems, any bugs or any errors that might come up, we are fixing them. And this takes some time. Now I’m not really one of the animators but I do believe that Sam will be able to take the weapons up with an animation, although I can’t promise anything…
But keep in mind that there has been numerous changes to the game since the E3 demo that has been shown.

ConnexionDVA:
The next question has been posted by Rignell78:
During the presentation you’ve mentioned “sandbox”, Now I’ve noticed that a lot of the levels from the previous Splinter Cell games were pretty linear. Is this going to be the same in Conviction.

Ubisoft:
Not at all! The game has been designed to give the player full control over the situation. That means he is not bound to go through any front doors or “hidden” side entrances. He can basically do whatever he wants to get inside. Like you’ve seen he can take a window, he could go through the front door. Now it isn’t only one window that enables you to get in the building. There are a lot of other entrances for you to find and to use.
So yes, the storyline will stay the same. But everything you control is not in any way linear.

ConnexionDVA:
Here’s a question from myself: Since the 2007 version of Conviction, Sam has changed a lot. He had longer hair, he had a beard. Now he really looks like he’s Sam Fisher again. Why or what made you decide to do this?

Ubisoft:
Well first of all, Conviction occurs not much later than Double Agent. You could say a couple of years later. But to us, Sam Fisher always had this distinctive look… changing it really gave us the feeling that it wasn’t Sam Fisher anymore (while it actually was). So changed him back to how we are used to… I have to say, I like this Sam Fisher more than the previous model.

ConnexionDVA:
Is there going to be a Demo released to the public? If yes… Do you have any idea when?

Ubisoft:
There is definitely going to be a demo but due to the busy schedule and a lot of work. We can’t confirm any dates yet. I’d say it will be very close to the actual game’s release.
?
ConnexionDVA:
Well, I think this is about end of my time. I really want to thank you for answering these questions. And I really hope that this will help some of the fans to appreciate the game more. I have to say that I’m really looking forward to playing the game!

Ubisoft:
It was my pleasure! And again, on behalf of the entire team, I want to thank you for your efforts in helping us maintain our fans and help us.

--END OF INTERVIEW—

Keep in mind that this Interview has been edited and approved by the interviewed person him- or herself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

- Es wird ne Demo kommen.
- Man hat immer noch die Auswahl die Personen zu töten oder nicht. Entweder man erschisst sie oder man schaltet sie mit der Kampftechnik "Krav Maga" aus
- Es wird nachgedacht, wie man Sam dazu bringt Körper schneller und (realistischer) zu "tragen". Von der Idee her packt man den Gegner an seiner Kleidung und schleift ihn in eine Ecke.
- Es wird wahrscheinlich ne Animation geben in dem die Waffe aufgehoben wird und nicht automatisch an seinem Gürtel/Hüfte angeheftet wird.

Dieses Interview hat mich positiv überrascht und außer LKP habe ich nichts mehr zu meckern. http://forums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jolka012
15-07-09, 15:28
Danke für die Eckpunkte Andre. Hab jetzt nämlich kein Bock alles zu lesen. http://forums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hört sich schonmal sehr beruhigend an, dass man die Körper noch wegtragen kann und man nicht gezwungen ist zu töten. http://forums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Super!

Allerdings sehen die schnellen Animationen immer noch scheiße aus. Ich kann's garnicht oft genug sagen...

Rea1SamF1sher
15-07-09, 15:41
Ob sie es wirklich verlangsamen werden ist schwer zu sagen, aber ich denke schon, dass sie es etwas runterschrauben werden. Mir ist halt aufgefallen, dass nur bei den ersten zwei Demos die Bewegung ziemlich schnell war. Danach kamen Demos wo ich dachte, das liegt noch im machbaren Bereich. Ich weiß nicht ob es davon kommt, dass ich es zu oft geguckt habe und mich an die Schnelligkeit gewöhnt habe oder sie wirklich langsamer waren, weil sie mehr Zeit hatten es zu präsentieren.

sc7freak
16-07-09, 13:10
Also ich finde das wirklich sehr bemerkenswert, was Ubisoft da veranstaltet. Also ich bin auch nicht mit allem einverstanden, was das Developer Team mit Conviction macht... Aber ich finde es sehr lobenswert, dass sie wirklich auf die Community eingehen. Allein, dass sie das Spiel mehr oder weniger neu konzipiert haben, weil es der (lautere) Teil der Community so gefordert hat, ist ein Beweis dafür, dass sie sich um die Community kümmern.
Ich will die jetzt bestimmt nicht in den Himmel loben, aber über Vorschläge aus der Community zu diskutieren ist wirklich schön zu hören.

Aber ich schließe mich frozens Meinung an, diese viel zu schnellen Animationen wirken echt Scheiße. Man will das Spiel schneller machen, aber man muss Sam nicht zu einem hyperaktiven (Revolver)Helden machen... Und beim am-Fenster-entlangrennen scheint auch die Gravitation außer Kraft zu treten...

Rea1SamF1sher
17-07-09, 07:46
Es wurde leider bestätigt, dass dieses Interview gefälscht ist. Das bedeutet, dass die Punkte die ich aufgezählt habe nicht unbedingt stimmen. Also kann es sein, dass es doch keine Demo geben wird und Sam auch nicht Gegner wegtragen kann.

Nun da wollte jemand auf sich aufmerksam machen und die Hardcore Fans und Gamer reinlegen. Schade. Den es hat sich eigentlich gut angehört. http://forums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Stealth_Player_
26-07-09, 13:31
Waaaas ???
Nein soll das'n Joke sein?
Ich bin grade in der Luft, und dann les ich deine Nachricht http://forums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Unsanfte Landung..
Smith? ^^

Rea1SamF1sher
26-07-09, 13:44
Hier kannste es nachlesen.

- Conviction: Ubisoft im Fan Interview (Donnerstag, 16. Juli 2009) (http://www.wnm-online.net/DBaseWNM/content/view/636/1/)

Ich habe aber auch schon geschrieben, dass mir dieses Interview viel zu gut gemacht wurde, als das es ne Fälschung sein könnte. Es könnte auch einfach sein, dass Informationen in diesem Interview enthalten sind die Ubisoft nicht bestätigen will. Zumindest wurde gesagt, dass wir diese Informationen als Gerüchte ansehen sollen. Zumindest wenn das Spiel verschoben wird, weiß ich, dass sie sich über die Kritik der Fans Gedanken gemacht haben und nicht denken, dass sie ein perfektes Spiel haben wenn sie viele Awards gewonnen haben. Mal sehen was passiert. Ich bin wahrscheinlich dieses Jahr auf der GC und hoffe, dass es dort ne Anspielversion geben wird. http://forums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif